B.A. (Performing Arts Music) April’94 Sri Sathguru Sangeetha Vidyalayam, Affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University
M.Phil – Indian Music, September’98 University of Madras
Qualified the State Level Educational Testing (SLET) for lecturers in March 1997 in Music (Carnatic) conducted by Bharathidasan University, Trichy (Accredited by University Grants Commission (UGC)
An ” A”Graded Veena Artiste, All India Radio (Chennai)
Research Experience (M.Phil degree)
A study of “Exclusive Differences in Karaikudi Style of Veena Playing”
Achievements and Awards
Secured First Rank and Gold Medal in B.A and M.A. (performing Arts Music) at University Level.
Secured Silver Medal and Cash Award for Veena Performance in the National Youth Festival conducted by the Nehru Yuva Kendra (Govt. of India), Calcutta in 1996.Currently doing PhD in music @ Sri Sathguru Sangeetha Vidyalayam Madurai affiliated to MK UniversitySelected by the Tamil Nadu Iyal Isai Nataka Mandram in Vocal Music for Talent Promotion in the year 96-97. Selected for “Smt. Lalitha Padmanabhan Endowment award” by Naradha Gana Sabha as the “Junior Veena Artiste of the year 2001.
Awarded the Kanchi Kamakoti Peeta Aasthana Vidwan for Veena in the year 2008
Concerts and performance
Have been giving concerts in AIR and Doordarshan since 1993 and also performing in Music Festivals and re-known Sabhas. Accompanying Veena for recordings, Dance Balleys and thematic presentation.
- Sri Thyagaraja Sangeetha Vidwath Samajam, Chennai
- The Madras Music Academy (2012 Dec” Music Fest.)
- Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai
- Karthik fine Arts, Chennai
- Hamsadhwani, Chennai
- Nada Inbam, Chennai
- Nandi Fine Arts, Chennai
- Ramani’s Academy of Flute (RAF, Chennai)
- Bharat Kalachar, Chennai
- Bharat Kalachar, Chennai
- Chennai fine Arts
- Veenai S. Balachander Trust
- Neyveli Sangeetha Sabha
- Naradha Gana Sabha, Karur
- Pathanjali Vyak Bharatha Sabha, Chidambaram
- Mudhra Veena Festival
- Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam (Veena Duo)
- Sathguru Sangeetha Samajam, Ragapriya, Sruthi Arts Academy, Madurai
Bharathiyar Palkalaikoodam, Pondichery: (Affiliated to Pondichery University): Worked as a Lecturer in Veena and Vocal from Nov. 1997 to Aug. 1999.
Department of Indian Music, University of Madras, Chennai Worked as Guest Lecturer for two years from Aug. 1999 to July 2001.
Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts, Kalakshethra Foundation, Chennai working as Lecturer – Veena Since Aug 2001.
Veena – Started learning at the age of 15 under the guidance of Mrs. Soundaram, Mrs. Gita Sarat and Dr. Mallika Raju, Professor in Music, Sri Sathguru Sangeetha Vidyalayam, Madurai.
Underwent Advanced learning under Vidwan Shri Trivandrum R. Venkataraman and presently under Vidhwan Shri. R. Parthasarathy
Vocal – Started under the able guidance of Vidhwan Shri Trichy Ganesan, AIR Madurai and presently pursuing under Vidhwan Shri P.S. Narayanaswamy.
Sri J. Surya Narayana Murthy hails from a traditional Bhagavathulu family, Kuchipudi Andhra Pradesh. After his academics 10th standard school finals he reached Chennai to join Kalakshetra under the guidance of Smt.Rukmini Devi to achieve the art of Bharatnatyam.
His father, Sri J. Krishnamurthy, recipient of Sangeeth Natak academy award by Sri A.P.J Abdul Kalam was awarded for his yakshagana accompaniment of mridangam for 50 years. His long ambition is that one of his sons must study Bharatnatyam at Kalakshetra. In the year 1982 in Karthigai masam (November 28) he arrived in Chennai and started his dance career at first with the blessings of the Kalakshetra alumni, Smt Periya Sharada teacher. When both the father and son entered into the divine Kalakshetra his sprinkled the holy soil on his head because of the greatness of Rukmini Devi’s Kalakshetra. Shri J.Surya Narayan Murthy happened to discontinue after 3 years of his training due to some unavoidable reasons.
His brother, J. Venkata Chalapthi, made him join under the Dhananjayans in 1985. Guru Dhananjayan with his noble and broad mind understood the financial situation of Sri J. Surya Narayana Murthy and gave him free education for a long time. J. Surya Narayna Murthy performed his Bharatnatyam arangetram in 1988 with the chief guest being Krishnamurthi of All India radio.
The eminent experts in the field of Bharatnatyam like Muthuswamy Pillai, S .K Rajaratnam Pillai and Pakkir Swamy Pillai blessed him with high regards. While the hall was overflowing people even sat in the pathway while some went back. He has choreographed any Keerthanams, Varnams, thillanas along with Ramayanam, Vijaya Gopala, Sharanam Ayyapa, Valli Thirumanam, Navagraha, Thondaradi Podi Alwar, Thirunavakarsar charitam, Sreenivasa kalyanam, etc.
Sri. J. Surya Narayana Murthy joined Dr. R Nagaswamy to study thevaram, thirupugazh and divyaprabandam. After a number of years of studying he achieved the Ministry of Human resource development fellowship to compose the in Bharatanatyam. He has been given main roles in all production of the Dhananjayans during his studies. The Dhananjayans, were not only like a mentors but, also like a father and mother to him.
They taught him how to walk and talk and focus in the world. They introduced him to al the sabhas of the city and made him a solo performer. Shri.J Surya Narayana Murthy associated with Sudha Rani Ragupathi, Lakshmi Vishwanathan, Smt Radha, Sri Narasimhachari, Dr. Venpathi Chinnasathyam, Smt. Anita Ratnam, Sonal Mansingh and others.
He studied Sanskrit from Chittoor Sanskrita Basha Pracharini sabha, he did his Isai Kalaimani in music from the Music college and Indian culture studies from Bharti Vidya Bhawan, studied the Indian art form from Kanak Rele’s Nalanda University, Bombay and achieved A top ranking artist acclaimed by New Delhi. Besides his academics like BA, MA, Mphil, MBA, Phd.
He is closely associated and continuously performs for Bharata Kalachar of Mrs. Y G P since 25 years and achieved Yuva kala Bharati and Nritya kala Bharati. He has stood widely in USA, USSR, UK, Europe, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Ceylon and Reunion. The Dhanajayans and his uncle, Sri Bhagavthulu SIta Rama Sharma, ex faculty of Kalakshetra, were the reasons of what is J. Surya Narayana Murthy today and were his backbone support for career.
After a break of 17 years he returned back to Kalakshetra to pursue his further studies and completed his Diploma and post diploma and acclaimed the honours of being a faculty of Kalakshetra. Now he is a permanent staff member with an experience of 12 years. He is a member of Abhai and ICCR.
Sri. J Surya Narayana Murthy’s life goal is to serve people with his art and leave the best of his knowledge for the society and to contribute free art service after his retirement.
Sri K.R.Lokesh Raj
2010 : Completed B.A. in Bharathanatyam with distinction from Kalai Kaveri College of Fine Arts. Thiruchirapalli, Tamilnadu.
2000 – 2002 : 2 years post – Diploma in Fine Arts,Specialization in classical art form in Bharathanatyam at world renowned college of Smt. Rukmini Devi’s Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, Tamilnadu.
1996 – 2000 : 4 years Diploma in Fine Arts Bharathanatyam at Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, Tamilnadu.
1991 – 1993 : Completed (12th State Board) in D.V.D Hr. Sec. School Nagarkovil, Tamilnadu.
2010 – 2012 : Completed M.A in Bharathanatyam from Kalai Kaviri college of Fine Arts, Thiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
- Was honoured with a central Govt. (Ministry of Culture) Scholarship for 2000 – 2002.
- First class holder in the 2 year post – Diploma Course at Kalakshetra
- Has performed widely in India & abroad both as a member of Kalakshetra repertory as well as soloist.
- Was honoured the ‘Best Dancer’ award in St. Pierre city from Re-union Island (France).
- Has handled full time & part time classes at Bhaskara,
- Has handled full time & part time classes at Bhaskara, Payyanur, (Kerala), Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, (Tamilnadu) & Re-union Island (France).
- Choreographed dances both classical & folk.
- Has been invited as judge for dance performances in Inter – School & College youth festival in Kerala.
- At present teaching Staff at Kalakshetra Foundation.
- Worked in Bhaskara (2002 – 2004) for one & half year.
- Handling Diploma classes for students at all levels both practical & theory.
- Conducted programmes with the students in Bhaskara. Payyanur, Kerala.
- Conducted work shop for dance students.
2004 – 2005 : Handled Ist year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam at Kalakshetra Foundation. Inducted the Students about the institution, basic techniques on warm ups, basic unit of movements – adavus.
2005-2006 : Handled Ist year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam.
2006-2007 : Handled 2nd Year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam. Taught dance items of the Bharathanatyam repertoire.
2007-2008 : Handled Ist year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam
2008-2009 : Handled 4th year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam Instrumental in grooming the Margam & the stage presentation techniques.
2008-2009 : Conducted a work shop in Re-union Island for all the level of Students.
2009-2010 : Handled 2nd year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam
2010-2011 : Handled 2nd year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam
2011-2012 : Worked in the research & documentation department sahityam analysation, word meaning of the respective Bharathanatyam repertoire items of kalakshetra.
2012-2013 : Handled 1st year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam
2013-2014 : Handled 1st year Diploma classes in Bharathanatyam
Choreography & Concept Designer:
- Choreographed a dance ballet called ‘Amba’ based on Female infanticide organised by Laadli Group.
- Dance Choreographed on Hanuman Chalisa
- Padam of Kshetrangna
- Jathi composed for Hanuman Chalisa
- Currently in the process of a new production of a ballet called ‘ Pittan’
- Choreographed a new keertanam in ragam Saaranga – composition of Sri Papanasam Sivan for a solo program on November 18th 2009.
- Choreographed a thillana in ragam Dharmavathi – composition of Sri Hariprasad for a solo program on November 18th 2009.
- Choreographed a slokam from thevaram for a solo program on September 24th 2010.
- Choreographed a varnam in ragam shankarabharanam, talam adhi, a composition of Dhandayuthapani pillai.
- Also jathi set for this varnam.
- choreographed for a Purandaradasara keertanam ‘Bhagyada Lakshmi…’ in Pt.Bhimsen joshi’s version for a Kalakshetra Annual Art Festival in 2014.
- Also choreographed many small dance ballets for the institution which is out of chennai station.
- Choreographed a viruttam from Subramanya Bharathi’s text on Allah.
1. Did Nattuvangam for Dance in various occasions to mention
- Sri. Sheejith Krishna’s – Kuchela Vrittam
- Sri. Sheejith Krishna’s – Solo Programme in Bharat Kalachar.
- Smt. Lakshmi Vishwanathan – For a programme for foreign delegates.
1. Lighting design, proscenium Arrangements, property Management in all Dance Drama’s of Kalakshetra.
2. Stage Craft.
Worked in Kalakshetra Repertory – 1997 – till date.
Works with other Dance Companies
1. Worked with Sri. Lakshmi Vishwanathan for Perur Natyanjali festival in 2002.
2. Worked with Smt. Vijayanthimala Bali for her production called ‘Chandalika’ in all over India – 1995.
3. Worked for the productive called ‘Marthyan’ of Sri. Sheejith Krishna a faculty member of Kalakshetra in 2005.
Has performed Bharathanatyam & group shows as part of Kalakshetra.
1. Performed a medly of 3 tillanas choreographed by Smt. Leela Samson. For Lalgudi Margam in October 2007
Participated and performed at the Kalakshetra Art Festival in 2009 and 2010.
3. Performed in classical group program ‘Aranyani’ for Indian International Centre, Delhi, on 21st October 2010.
4. Performed for the Indian Art Festival of China at Chengdu on 24th October 2010 on behalf of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
Has participated in all folk dances in various premises during several occasions as a part of Kalakshetra Foundation from the year 1997.
1. Has worked under Smt. Leela Samson for the lecture Demonstration as group choreography of Smt. Rukmini Devi.
2. Has worked under Sri. Sheejith Krishna on his own group Choreography.
2004 – Performed in Varasidhi Vinayaka Temple
2007 – Performed under the auspices of ‘Natya Rangam’
2008 – Performed for Kalakshetra monthly concert series.
2009 – Performed solo at Kalakshetra Foundation as a part of monthly concert programme in november 2009.
2010 – Performed solo at the Varasiddhi Vinayagar Temple on 24th september 2010 under the sponsorship of Smt.priyadarshini Govind.
2012 – Performed solo on 4th august 2012 under the sponsorship of Smt.Kalanidhinarayanan.
2012 – Performed solo at the Kalakshetra on October 6th 2012 as a part of monthly concert programme.
2015 – Performed solo at the Bharathiya Vidhya Bhavan on 15th September under ‘Prasaarana’ a festival of dance, music and lecture with the colobration kalakshetra and Bhavan.
WORK SHOPS ATTENDED
2005 – Prakriti Bhaskar – Underwent Nattuvangam workshop on kadirvel pillai pani.
2006 – Sonia galvo Work Shop – Floor exercise, stretching techniques.
2007 – Feldenkrais Work Shop – with Noena gorig.
2008 – Underwent training Work Shop with Dr.Kannan pugazhendhi – Body awareness & injuries.
2002 : Srilanka – with Kalakshetra for the Ministry of Human resources development Education & Cultural affairs.
2005 Kuwait – Organised by ‘ Indian Arts Circle – Kuwait’.
2006 : Bankok – with Kalakshetra for the 8th International festival of ‘Dance & Music’ presenting Ramayama.
2007 : French Re- Union – performed Bharathanatyam under the ‘Maha Badra Kali Temple Trust.
2010 : China – with Kalakshetra performed in Indian Art festival of China at chengdu on 24th October 2010.
2012 : Singapore – with Kalakshetra performed for the Esplanade Dance Festival on 24th November 2012.
2014 : Lao’s & Cambodia – with Kalakshetra performed for the Indian Art Festival in Feb 2014.
2014 : Bangkok – With Kalakshetra performed for the India Art Festival on March 2014.
2014 : China – With Kalakshetra performed for the Indian Art Festival on May 2014.
English, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Hindi.
- Has completed Madhyama level examination in Hindi.
- Has completed the 2nd level of examinations in Sanskrit conducted by rashtriya Sanskrit Vidhyapeeta, Chittoor.
- Able to sing & take classes and write a swara notation.
- Adept at Nattuvangam
- Adept at designing the costume aesthetically for chosen occasion or a role.
- Conducted a workshop and also as a examinor in Reunion Island in 2008 & 09 for the french government conservetoire.
- Workshop in Hydrabad in a year 2005.
- Workshop through Kalakshetra Foundation under Outreach programme in NewJersy in july 2014.
An alumnus of the world-renowned Kalakshetra Foundation where he has been, and continues to be, a member of the dance faculty for the past twenty years, Sri K. Mohanan is an experienced and expressive dancer and noted Bharatanatyam guru. A versatile exponent, his wide-ranging interests span teaching, performing, choreography and research.
His efforts have won him several accolades including Natyakalaimani from the South Indian Social and Cultural Academy and Nrithya Kalaivanan from Nrithyanjali Trust. He is also a recipient of the prestigious National Merit Scholarship for Bharatanatyam and Nattuvangam from the Government of India.
His performances, workshops and lecture-demonstrations have taken him all over Europe, the United States, Japan, Sri Lanka, the Middle East and Mauritius.
His wife and student, Smt Sunita Mohanan, runs the Nrithya Kiran Academy of Dance and together, the duo has been instrumental in transmitting the famed Kalakshetra baani to several illustrious young students and performers.
Born at Mannarghat, Palghat District, K. Hari Prasad has started learning Carnautic Vocal Music at the age of 6 under Sri Govinda Bhagavatar. After completing formal education he joined Kalakshetra College of Fine Arts, Chennai and was trained under Sri Salem D. Chellam Iyengar and Sri S. Rajaram, Grandson of Mysore Vasudevachariyar. He was also under the tutelage of Sri Vairamangalam Lakshminaryanan and Sri V. Subramaniam the senior most disciple of Sri Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer. He has also learnt some compositions of Dr.M. Balamurali Krishna under the same versatile artist.
Hari Prasad is a regular broadcasting artist in All India Radio since 1989. He has performed at various sabhas in Chennai including Music Academy and at various places in India and abroad. He has also accompanied as Vocalist to almost all the renowned dancers in Chennai and abroad and has composed Music for many Dance productions. He has toured France, USA, London, Swiss, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Singapore and Malaysia etc.
He has worked as faculty member at Bharathiar Palkalai Koodam affiliated to Pondicherry University, Bhavans Gandhi Vidyashram, Kodaikanal and later joined his almamater Kalakshetra as a faculty member. He has accompanied on vocal for almost all the dance-drama productions of Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale. He has also sung for a movie ‘Swapaanam’ based on Classical arts.
- Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyyar Prize for raga rendering by Sri Krishna Gana Sabha in the year 2000.
- Best Vocal accompanists award by Music Academy in the year 2004 and same from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha in the year 2000 & 2003.
- Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Astana Vidwan’ in 2008 by Kanchi Matam.
- Sathya Gandharva Gana Sundaram by Bharathanjali Trust in 2009.
- Natya Sangita Kalabharathi’ from Bharath Kalachar.
- Best Vocal accompanist from VDS Arts Academy in 2009
Mrs. Shaly Vijayan is an excellent Bharathanatyam dancer and Mohini Attam dancer and teacher. She has been passionately in love with Indian classical Dances from her childhood. Her innate and undying love for classical dance drove her to Smt. Rukmini Devi’s world renowned A Kalakshetra college of fine arts, Chennai, India for further grooming in Bharathanatyam. From kalakshetra Mrs. Shaly received a diploma and post diploma, both with first class. She had the rare privilege of being associated with Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale. Mrs. Shaly has been taking major roles in the dance-dramas of Kalakshetra in India and Abroad, since 1983. She has been acclaimed for her neat and precise Adavus and mastering the subtle nuances of Abinaya. She is not only an accomplished solo performer but also an expert dance teacher understanding each student’s ability and difficulty and moulding them according to their capacity. She is currently a senior lecturer in bharathanatyam at her Alma mater, the Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai.
A product of the renowned Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, and Kerala Kalamandalam, Shaly Vijayan is a Bharatanatyam exponent, choreographer and guru based in Chennai, India. A graceful performer with fluid movements and nuanced expressions, Shaly has performed widely in India and all over the world even as she continues to serve as a senior member on the faculty of Kalakshetra Foundation.
Her style is a refreshing blend of the crispness and precision of the Kalakshetra baani infused with the gentle grace of her Mohiniattam training. After her early training at Kerala Kalamandalam where she obtained a diploma in both Bharatanatyam and Mohiniattam, Shaly entered Kalakshetra where was among the final generation of dancers to train under the legendary Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale. Over the course of her rigorous seven year post graduate training at Kalakshetra, she had the opportunity to learn from a range of stalwarts and gurus including Smt. N. S. Jayalakshmi, Smt. Uma Rao and Smt. Krishnaveni Lakshman.
Over the years, she has essayed a range of key roles in the dance dramas of Kalakshetra as well as featuring in solo and group performances at leading venues around the world. Her exuberant and arresting stage presence make her a sought after performer and she is also skilled in nattuvangam.
Luni Bangsia, come from a small village called Khonsa in Tirap district,Arunachal Pradesh. With lot of interest in dance from my childhood,later I joined Kalakshetra foundation, a famous classical dance institute in Chennai founded by Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale. I learned Bharatanatyam for six years under many great gurus and experience teachers. I have also learned Carnatic music for six years. Fluent in Hindi and English. I had taken part in Kalakshetra dance dramas and variety programmes (folk dances of India). I had travelled throughout the India for performance with Kalakshetra repertoire. I finished my Diploma and Post-Diplomain bharatnatyam with Ist class from Kalakshetra College of fine arts and also holds bachelor degree in fine art from Bharatadasan University. I worked at Isha foundation, Coimbatore as dance instructor (Bharatanatyam) for three years. I had conducted many programmes for the students like classical dance (Bharatanatyam), folk dance, semi-classical and also fusion.
Interested in the art and dance forms of India, exploring art forms from other regions and countries and understanding the unique and common aspects among them as well, working Classical dance (Bharatanatyam) and its theory, folk dances of north eastern part of India and also the other states, knowledge about sports, singing, interested in crafts,fusion dance,temple Architecture, yoga, work related to nature.
Worked as student teacher (Bharatanatyam) in Kalakshetra foundation,Chennai for two years(2009-2011). I worked as a full time dance teacher (Bharatanatyam) at Isha foundation,Coimbatore for 3 years (2011-2014).I had worked and performed with shri shijit nambiar as a part of Samradhya. Now working actively in the Kalakshetra College of fine arts as a dance tutor
Major Workshops & Presentations
- Conducted a dance workshop in Naatrampalli at R.K mission school.
- Worked with a western dancer Aparna Nagesh to choreograph a semi-classical dance for one of her production.
- Had worked with a great Oddissi dancer Sonal Mansingh for a dance drama on Kanyakumari
- Choreographed a dance drama on Shankaracharya and Soundarya-Lahari, also choreographed “Thumri” from saint kabir’s Dohe and a Keertanam
Anikode Krishna Sundaram Murali (a) A K S Murali was born in a family of musicians. His father an ardent fan of Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer had this urge that one of his lineage to get tutored under him or at least learn in his school of Music. Seldom did he realize that A S Murali, the fifth in the family and his fourth son would be satisifying his wish. Murali is also a Cost Accountant and holds a first class degree in M. Music and Commerce.
Murali is a multi -faceted artist – ‘A’ Graded Vocal and Ghatam Artiste, He is one of the leading artists in the field of Carnatic Music (South Indian Classical Music). He has been performing for over 25 years. Murali belongs to a family of music aficionado. From a very early age he was exposed to the classical arts, especially carnatic classical music. His first concert was held when he was just 5 years, and the wonder is that he did the performance in a Temple impromptu. This made his father identify the thirst in him for carnatic music, and since then there is no looking back. He started his initial training under his father, Late A K Sundaram Iyer and then under his paternal uncle Violin Vidwan Late A K Ganesha Iyer. Further, he continued his training from Kalaimamani Smt S Rajeswari.
As mentioned above, he was fascinated towards laya, and a peculiar sound of the Ghatam drew himself to get trained under Ghatam Mastero Sri T V Vaasan. His Guru Sri T V Vaasan, was enthralled by Murali’s knowledge in vocal music, and he was instrumental in making him the disciple of Padma Bushan, Sangitha Kala Acharya Sri P S Narayanaswamy, thus satisfying the dream of Murali’s father. He has also accompanied Sri PSN as vocal support in many of his concerts.
He is now one of the prime disciples of Sri PSN. Murali has traveled all over the world, won applause from connoisseurs, and critics. He has been on tours to the US, Europe, South Africa, North America,Brazil,Argentina, Columbia,Japan, Asia, Australia, New Zeland and the Middle East numerous times. He has received numerous awards and titles from many leading organizations.
His resonant and mellifluous voice and strict adherence to classicism have enriched his art. His music is marked with a very high level of aesthetics in conception and execution. He is known for his tremendous Manodharma (Imagination) and Sampradaya (Traditional) Sangeetham (music). His complete involvement and his ability to unfold ragas with ease have left many a listener lost in his music.
This you may call the best part of Murali. He somehow finds immense satisfaction in teaching whatever he has learnt, and he has more than 100 students all over the world. He is one of the most sought of teacher in the field of carnatic music. He has learnt the nuances of teaching from Sri PSN who also, recommended a number of students to be trained under him. To give an example of Murali’s involvement in his teaching, he was teaching Bhairavi Swara Jathi to one of his disciple where Murali just started his lunch, and by the time he finished teaching the raga and the kriti to his disciple it was more than three hours, little did he realize that he had had only a few hands of food and did not even notice that the plate had become dry. Such is sincerity and dedication towards teaching. Needless to say, that anyone, who comes under him for tutelage seldom leave him.
AS Murai has music students from all parts of the world. He is known for his strict adherence to traditional values of the music system, and has very high expectations of his students. A firm believer in traditional learning techniques, Murali gives much importance to a firm grounding in fundamentals and expects dedicated practice of his students. Today, many of his students are competing in top music competitions and found on the concert platform. Presently Murali is working as Vocal Tutor in Kalakshetra College of Fine Arts, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai.
Murali is also involved in social activities spreading carnatic music. He is a very active member in Nadha Sath Sangam, Organizing Sivarathri Thyagaraja AkandaGanam at Thiruvaiyaru, every year. He is the Trustee and Secretary in Sri Sathguru Sadasiva Brahmendral Aradhana Committee conducting Aradhana & Music Series at Manamadurai every year. He is the Treasurer in Hanumanthapuram Pallaki Seva Trust, conducting Aradhana and Music Series and many other functions at Sri Raghavendraswamy Gana Brindavanam at Kollidam, Sirkali Tk. He is part of the organizing team of Sri Venkateswara Padhayatra Baktha Samajam, organizing Thirumayilai –Thirupathi Padhayatra every year.
SOME OF HIS AWARDS
- Awarded Senior Scholarship from Department of Culture in Music under able guidance from Guru Sri PSN in the year 2000 – 2002
- Prize winner of Talent Promotion Concert at Krishna Gana Sabha during Gokulashtami Series.
- Awarded ‘Yuva Kala Jyothi’ in 2001 by Sri Jagathguru Vedaparayana Trust.
- Awarded as “Best Guru of 2006” by VDS Arts Academy
- Awarded as Asthana Vidwan of Sri Kanchi KamaKoti Peetam in 2006.
- Awarded “Sri Sushmeendra Puruskar” in 2013 for Music from Sri Raghavendra Swamy Mutt, Manthralayam
T. Sashidhar initially learnt flute from P. Vishwanatha Rao, S. Raghu and T.N. Siva Kumar. Later he joined the world renowned Rukmini Devi College Of Fine Arts, Kalakshetra Foundation in the year 1981 and learnt flute from H. Ramachandra Sastri. He acquired post diploma of Kalashetra and Sangeetha Sironmani of Madras University. He learnt vocal from Sri Rajasekhar, R.Subramanium, Pudukodu K. Krishnamurthy, M. Bala Saraswathy, Vairamangalam .S. Lakshmi Narayanan, S. Rajaram, V. Subramanium.
He had accompanied for dance dramas of Kalakshetra Repertory. He had also accompanied for various dancers. He had traveled abroad such as France, Germany, London, Spain, Portugal, Japan, China, etc for performances. He had also given many solo performances in Chennai and other places. He is an ‘A’ Grade artist in All India Radio. Sashidhar received Kalaimamani which is a prestigious award given by Tamil Nadu Government in 2006. He has received award from Natyarangam, Narada Gana Sabha in 2008, an award from Karthik Fine Arts in 2015 and Natya Sangeetha Bharathi from Bharath Kalachar in 2014. He is currently working as an assistant professor in Kalakshetra Foundation.
Sri Pakala Ramados
Born on October 4th 1963 in Andhra Pradesh, in a musical family. Pakala Ramadas is the son Shri Pakala Munirathnam, a violin vidwan and retired violin lecturer from the Shri Venkateswara Music College.
- Since Childhood, Ramadas displayed his marked inclination towards classical music.
- He began his initial training under Violin Vidwan Shri P.P. Somayajalu, and later under the Tutelage of Violin Maestro Padmabhushan Lalgudi G. Jayaraman.
- He is qualified with “Sangeetha Vishrada” from Thirupathi Music college and “Sangeetha Vidwan” from Central College, Chennai. He has undergone the teachers training course from Ananthapur, AndhraPradesh.
- He is an ‘A’ Top artist (Violin) in both Doordarshan and All India Radio (Chennai)
- He is also a B-Grade artist (Vocal) in All India Radio.
- Chief Examiner for Singapore Fine Arts Society (2003 and 2004)
- Chief Examiner for Shyama Organisation in Singapore (2007)
- Selection of Scholarship Committee in the CCRT as a Jury.
- Since 1984 to1992 working as a Tutor in the College of Fine Arts, Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai.
- Than 1992 to 1996 he was formerly employed as Violin – Staff artist, All India Radio, Chennai..
- He is currently working as an Professor (Violin) in the Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts, Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai.
- Principal i/c – Academics since November 2015 in the Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts, Kalakshetra.
- He has tavelled widely in India and abroad. He has perfomed at different Music festivals (Festival of India) in Russia, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, British Guyana (South America) and Reunion.
- He has accompanied almost all of the leading vocalist in Carnatic Music, such as Tanjore Shankara Iyer, R.K. Srikantan, D. Pashupathi, K.J. Jesudas, T.V. Shankaranarayanan, T.N. Seshagopalan, Aruna Sairam, Sudha Raghunathan, Sanjay Subramaniam, P. Unnikrishnan, Bombay Jayashri, Neyveli Santhanagopalan, S. Sowmya, Nithyasree Mahadevan etc.
- Accompanied P.Unnikrishnan (Vocal Concerts) in Australia and New Zealand.
- Accompanied Bushany Kalyanaraman (Vocalist) in London and Paris, Germany, Switzerland.
- Accompanied Nithyasree Mahadevan (Vocalis) in Australia.
- Accompanied R. Suryaprakash (Vocalist) in the United States.
- Accompanied Maharajapuram S. Srinivasan in the U.S.A. & Canada.
- Performed for the inaugural Discovery Park Energy Center Hydrogen Initiative Symposium at Purdue University (United States).
- Has given Violin Solo performances in London, Malaysia & Singapore.
- Has released albums with Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Bushany Kalyanaraman (AVM recordings) and P. Unnikrishnan. He has also done recordings for National Program of Music for Television with t.M. Thyagarajan.
- Played many Solo Concerts, Ghazals concerts and Jugal Bandhis.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND HONOURS
- The best violinist award from Shri Venkateswara University, Thiurupathi
- The best violinist award from Indian Fine Arts Society, Chennai.
- The best violinist award from Shri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai.
- The best violnist award from the Music Academy, Chennai.
- The Youth Excellent Violin Award from the Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Award Trust, Chennai.
- The Chennai Online awarded “Isai Vendar”
- The Kanchi Kamakoti Peeta Asthan Vidhwan at Kancheepuram.
- Maharajapuram Sanathanam Trust honoured.
- Vani Kalanibhuna at Vani Mahal, Chennai.
Mrs. SRIVIDHYA VISWANATH, working as a TUTOR, since JUNE 2010 till date at KALAKSHETRA FOUNDATION.
She had completed her M.A. INDIAN MUSIC and got FIRST at MADRAS UNIVERSITY, 2004 and Bagged Medal and Prizes
Graded as B High in Veena – AIR Chennai with regular performances Performed Veena for Sabhas and temples in and around Karaikal. Gave Vocal and Veena concerts in Sapthaswara Sabha and Balachandhar Sangeetha Vidhyalaya, Karaikal. Giving performances for Veena in “Veena Utsavam” every year from 2013 in Naradha Gana Sabha, Chennai. Accompanied veena for dance concert in CHENNAIYIL THIRUVAIYARU, AZHAGAR KURAVANJI, dance drama for RUKMINI DEVI NATYASANKALPA, NATYARANGAM, thematic concert 2013 and 2014 and DASAVATHARAM, dance drama in CHETTINAD HARISHREE VIDHYALAYA, CHENNAI and for many dance concerts. Got Prizes, for vocal from 1991 to 1996, for Veena from SAPTASWARAM sabha, Karaikal. Won several prizes from YUVA UTSAV, NEHRU YUVA KENDRA. second place in Veena, in 67th SOUTH INDIAN MUSIC CONFERENCE AND FESTIVAL 1999-2000 by THE INDIAN FINE ARTS SOCIETY, CHENNAI. Received scholarship for Veena from CCRT, Government of India in 1994
Initially brought up for both Vocal and Veena from Mother Smt. Hema Sivasubramanian, who studied in Thiruvaiyaru music college, Retd. Music Teacher in a Govt. School, Karaikal. Continued from Shri. S.N. Rangarajan, Karaikal. Disciple of Shri. M.D. Ramanathan (Kalashetra). Currently developing skills on Veena from Dr. R.S. Jayalakshmi and Vocal from Dr. Mala Mohan
KALAKSHETRA DANCE CONCERTS.
Accompanied for JATAYU MOKSHAM, a dance drama, for national games, conducted in Kerala, for KANNAPPAR KURAVANJI and RUKMINI KALYANAM, for Smt. Rukmini Devi’s birthday celebration, for Variety program(folk) of Kalakshetra in CLRI and TAJ COROMANDEL, CHENNAI and BHARATNATYAM in BHARAT KALACHAR and in THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY
Sri K.P.Anil Kumar
Mridanga Vidwan Shri K.P. Anil Kumar was born in 1960 at Kozhikode (Keralam). He hails from a family of traditional musicians. At the age of 10 he started learning Mridangam under the tutelage of his father – Guru Shri K.P. Bhaskardas
He later underwent training from Puthukode Shri S, Krishna Iyer and Padmashri Palghat R. Raghu they both great disciples of Mridangam maestro “Padmabushan” “Palghat T.S. Mani” Iyer after completing School finals at (Kozhikode). Anil Kumar joined the Great Instiutitions Kalakshetra Foundation Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts in 1979. As a student he also learned – Tabala from his father (Hindustani Style) and Vocal as second subject in Kalakshetra during his course.
In 1984 he become a staff member of Foundation Anil Kumar is an “A” graded artist in selected by Prassar Bharathi Broadcasting Corporation of India (All India Radio), Doordarsan since 2001 he has participated in many prestigious festivals in various Sabha’s in India for many vidwans and Vidushees. In Chennai, Music Academy and Krishna Gana Sabha and Narada Gana Sabha. He has travelled and performed Festivals of India in USSR and other country like England, France, Germany, Holland, Spain, South America, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka and China. He is continuing service as a Mridangam Professor in Music Department in Kalakshetra Foundation, Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai 600 041, India.
Conducted examinations in New Zealand (Auckland) London School of Music Grade Examiner Mridangam. As a Examiner for Annamalai Mandram.
Tamil Nadu Technical Exams – and CBSE – Fine Arts Group, Mridangam.
National Program of Music – Conducted by Prassar Bharathi, Madras.
For Maharajapuram Sreenivasan and Trinities Festival in Trivandrum AIR.
Esai Charal in Chennai, Doordarshan and Chennai Vanoli for Smt. Shyamala Venkatesh.Festival of India in Cambodia with Kalakshetra Group, Singapore and Malaysia Festival at India.
Principal i/c – Concert Section since November 2015 in the Rukmini Devi College of Fine Arts, Kalakshetra.
Sri K.Sai Sankar
Born on 14.02.1961 and educated at Palghat, started Music Training in the year 1971 at the age of ten with Private tuition under Sri S. Krishna Iyer, Flutist, Palghat. Continued further training under the eminent Vidwan, late Pudukode Sri K. Krishnamurthy.
After the school final, joined Kalakshetra personally selected by the founder, late Smt. Rukmini Devi. Had full time coaching from 1978 under the eminent Vidwans, late Pudukode Sri K. Krishnamurthy, and late Padmashri M.D. Ramanathan from 1978 to 1986. From 1987 to 1995 had training from Vairamangalam Sri S. Lakshminarayanan.
Took Diploma and Post-diploma in Carnatic Music – Vocal and placed in First Class.
Awarded Central Government Cultural Scholarship for advanced studies in Classical Music (Vocal). Awarded prizes by the Music Academy, Madras and Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy. Selected concerts held in Krishna Gana Sabha, Madras, Nadopasana, Madras and Eyal Isai Nataka Mandram, Madras etc. Graded as ‘B-High’ by All India Radio, Madras and also given Programmes in T.V.
Took part in the Festival of India arranged by the I.C.C.R. in USSR (Soviet Russia) and most of the European Countris.
At present – Professor (Music), Kalakshetra Foundation, College of Fine Arts, Thiruvanmiyur, Madras-41.
Sri Hari Padman
Sri Hari Padman started his initial training in Bharatanatyam under his parents Padmanabha Pillai and Vasanta and then under his aunt kalamandalam kamala. He then came to Kalakshetra and continued his training by completing the diploma and post diploma course at the prestigious institution. He also completed his masters and bachelors in fine arts in bharatanatyam from Bharatidasam University Thiruchirappalli, Tamilnadu.
Today,he is one of the senior faculties at kalakshetra and is also one of the principle dancers of the kalakshetra repertory company. He has been played key roles in more than 18 major productions of Kalakshetra challenging roles in the kalakshetra dance dramas like hanuman in the Ramayana series and kannapar in the kannapar kuravanji and many more.
His inspired teaching styles ,powerful performance techniques, a professional Nattuvanar in the field of Bhratanatyam and work with all most all the eminent dancers and various dance dramas of Kalakshetra,he had conducted various work shops and lecture demonstrations on thalam in India and abroad,precise nattuvangam and choreography have made him an highly acclaimed Bharatanatyam artiste. Apart from Bharatanatyam he has also trained in kathakali under the tutelage of sadanam Balakrishnan in Kalakshetra.
Worked as guest lecture in Hatton National college of education, SriLanka thorough Indian high commission,Department of Cultural Affairs
Sri Hari Padman is the honoured of many prestigious awards like kerala Sangeet Natak Academy stipend in 1987 CCRT Scholarship, ‘A’ grade artist in Dooradarshan Chennai, Best dancer Award for Parthasarathy dance festival 2012, Nava Narthaka – dasyam Chennai 2013 and many more. He has performed in several dance festivals nationally and internationally,
He had choreographed several dance items and thematic presentations like Swathi ramam ,Krishna geethi,Swathi mutharam ,Samudra madanam, Namargam produced by krithika subramanyam
The dance choreographer for Ethno Techno project,Sweden. its a contemporary work between Indian and Swedish classical music produced by Samadhi group.
To have a career which constantly allows me to learn, and evolve as a sensitive artiste, which is financially rewarding and offers holistic improvement in ones overall personality.
- 2009 – Till now –teaching staff in Kalakshetra Part time course
- 2009 – Till now – teaching staff in Kalakshetra Full time course
- 2008 – 2009 – Central government scholarship-Kalakshetra Foundation
- 2006 – 2009 – Post graduate studies – Kalakshetra
- 2002 – 2006 – Diploma studies – Kalakshetra
- Ambika buch
- C.V Chandrashekhar
- Vasanta Vedam
- Killikurishimangalam Ramesh
Nattuvangam & Advanced vocal studies
- Bhagavathulu Sitarama Sharma
- A S Murali (tutor Kalakshetra)
- Vasanta Vedam
Bharatanatyam – Solo
- Solo – Monthly Cultural Program (Kalakshetra)
- Solo – Krishnanjali trust – Chennai
- Solo – Dasyam Yuva Festival – Chennai
- Solo – Dasyam Festival – Chennai
- Solo – Purusha Bhushana festival – Mysore
- Solo – Bharathanatyam with Leela Samson – Bombay
- Solo – Nartaka Festival, Chennai
- Solo – Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha Festival, Chennai
Bharatanatyam – Group
- Group – Natyanjali dance festival – Chidambaram
- Group – Ananya festival – Delhi
- Group – Charishnu – Bharatanatyam – touring to China Mauritius and throughout India
- Group – ICCR – festival of India – China
Bharatanatyam – Duet
- Duet – with Shanmuga sundaram under Prayatnam
Dance drama (Kalakshetra)– (major roles)
- Rama – Sri Rama Vanagamanam
- Vibhishana – Maha Pattabhishekam
- Jambavan – Maha Pattabhishekam
- Vidura – Panchali Shapatam
- Chandra – Kurma Avataram
- Kattiakkaran – Kutrala Kuravanji
- Brahmin – Rukmini Kalayanam
- Gopa – Dasaru Kanda Krishna
- Court Dancer – Masquerade
- Leela Samson – Bombay, Orissa, Delhi & Pune
- Leela Samson – Audio recording
- Mavin khoo – Kalakshetra Katcheri 2011
- Shijith nambiar – Music Academy 2009
- Shaly Vijayan – Dasyam Festival 2008
- Ramya Sundaresan (USA) – Audio recording
- Uma Balakrishnan (Canada) – Audio recording
- Sailaja (Kuchipudi) – Audio recording
- Swarnamalya Ganesh
- Aniruddha Knight
- Kalakshetra dance dramas
- Nationality – Indian
- Languages known – Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, Sanskrit, English
- Age – 31
- Date of birth – 16th may 1984
- Marital status – Single